Thursday, September 17, 2009

. . . Do Not Cater In Heels

.
.
.
My feet are buggered.

I catered a party last night for 100 people. Granted I only had to do all the appetizers, the salad, the pasta, crudites and desert. (On the original menu was just a variety of bruschetta and salad.) But next time, must remember to get paid for ALL the items.

You may not know this, but I am notorious for NOT making money on my catering. Really. Since my ex partner opened his microbrewery, Jem's Beer Factory, It's all gone downhill. On a sled.


I have never been good with money. (Jem used to take care of the ordering/shopping). But me? I suck at this. I once catered a picnic luncheon and ended up making about $13.(It was the wine that they didn't order- but it was so appropriate at the time!!!). I'm just terrible about estimating the amount of food to prep, and always have to add extra items- one more cake, one more salad, uh wine, etc. (And I use only the best ingredients) But I am a damn good cook.


So last night, my helper bailed on me at the last minute and I had to do the whole lot on my own. Not good. I managed it, somehow, and the food was great. But who in their right mind wears heels in the bloody kitchen? Truth is that I had brought flats, but forgot about them in all the excitement and balagan. Also, I had intended to just do my apps, and then leave. But me being me, had to stay the whole evening. Oh and not get paid for that either.

I am just a woosssss. So I made copious notes on how much to buy next time and what to charge (good move) but I will probably forget I made them and do exactly the same thing all over again. And so it goes. ugh.

11 comments:

  1. "But who in their right mind wears heels in the bloody kitchen?"
    That would be MEEEEEE (if I have a chance) ..... ha...ha..ha...
    Good seeing you write on a blog now Jo. How about a few click here and there to spice it up???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, I am positive that you are an awesome caterer. You are great at whatever you do. And when it comes to food, since it is a passion, then you are no doubt fantastic. I do think that lessons learned from this experience however may be to take care of the feet. Comfort is king. Anyway, if you decide to expand your empire to NYC, I know someone who would do business with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support guys. Not sure about this blog thing. Seeing as I am a bit on the impulsive side (as if)am wondering what kind of stuff would be TOO personal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revealing your word twist strategy might qualify as too personal. Everything else is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm. What word twist strategy???? Do we have a game on Lon? Am so obsessed with lexulous that I forget to check. (and besides, you are beating me in WT)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if the fact that I used to be an army cook has anything to do with the copious amounts of food I seem to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yes, your cooking is AMAZING! I believe you and JEM were my first vegetarian/vegan couple I ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You worried about personal???? All anyone need do is go over toyour husband's blog and there is your whole life laid out before them.

    I am sure you will get it right after about 100 tries. (Remember, when you loose money on these jobs, your husband will eventually decide to help with the numbers side of things. And we all know that he is damned good at that.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marty, I am not holding my breath. He just moans and groans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jo, taken from webopedia, "a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author." So, there you go, spoken like a gentleman! See you in the desert later love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bri. We had an awesome day in the end.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am not really mental. Just a tad A.D.D. Have no memory at all. Somewhat Bi-Polar. Apparently Co-Dependent. (but working on it :-) Oh, and Addicted to Anything Good. No kidding.